At the University of Tübingen, Ludwig Uhland Institute for Historical and Cultural Anthropology, there is a
PhD Position (m/w/d; TV-L E13, 65%)
available to be filled by 1 March 2022. The position is limited until 28 February 2025 (with an option for extension).
* Independent academic work in the research field of Digital Everyday Cultures / Media & Digital Anthropology on a self-selected topic (academic qualification through doctorate/dissertation)
* Teaching in Historical and Cultural Anthropology, to the extent of 2SWS (one seminar per Semester)
* Tasks in academic self-administration, especially in the areas of digitisation and internationalisation as well as event organisation
* Coordination of a research lab in the field of media & digital anthropology
* very good university degree (MA or equivalent) in cultural anthropology / European ethnology
* very good university degree (MA or equivalent) in related subjects such as media studies, sociology or cultural studies, provided the applicant has experience with ethnographic research
Please note: the degree certificate does not have to be available at the time of application if it can be submitted by the time the position starts (see also application documents).
* very good English language skills
* very good German language skills, or
* Good German language skills and willingness to participate in German language courses at the University of Tübingen
* Previous experience in the research field of Digital Everyday Cultures / Media & Digital Anthropology
* Digital and data skills (e.g. in the field of computer-assisted data analysis, web design, image and video editing)
Equally qualified applicants with disabilities will be given preference. The university seeks to raise the number of women in research and teaching and therefore encourages qualified women to apply for these positions. Employment will be carried out by the central administration of the University Tübingen.
* Cover letter with curriculum vitae
* Graduation certificate (high school or similar) and MA certificate (university).
If the MA degree certificate is not yet available, a summary of the thesis with information on the expected date of graduation can be submitted as an alternative.
* Summary of MA thesis (1-2 pages)
* Outline of ideas for a doctoral project in the field of Digital Everyday Cultures / Media & Digital Anthropology (1-2 pages)
Please send your applications via email in one PDF document by 15 November 2021 to
Prof. Dr. Christoph Bareither (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Institute of Historical and Cultural Anthropology
University of Tübingen
72070 Tübingen (Germany)
The selection interviews will take place on 06.12.2021 in Tübingen or alternatively online.