The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and interna- tionally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
Within the framework of the Collaborative Research Centre 1187 “Media of Cooperation“ and in close collaboration with scholars from the field of socio-informatics at Siegen University, sub-project B04 “Digital Publics and social Transformation in the Maghreb“ focuses on the connection between digital media practices and the emergence of new publics within the ongoing social transformation processes in North Africa and Europe. The (media-) anthropological part zooms in on the making and negotiation of issues of public concern with a special focus on media practices of cooperation and latest media developments on site (https://www.mediacoop.uni-siegen.de/en/projects/b04/ ).
- extended (media-) ethnographic fieldwork in the Maghreb and in Germany, publication of its results in high-ranking journals and book projects
- team-oriented coordination of and active participation in an interdisciplinary research project aiming at foundational re- search in media anthropology
- active participation in the CRC in Cologne and Siegen, inclu- ding the organisation of interdisciplinary workshops, discus- sion forums and conferencesYOUR PROFILE
- very good academic degree with a doctorate in social and cultural anthropology or a comparable subject
- very good knowledge of theory and methodology of media anthropology and substantial experience in long- term (media-) ethnographic fieldwork
- expertise (research, publications) in media anthropology, social and political anthropology, STS and/or migration studies
- research focus on North Africa and/or the Mediterrane- an region, as well as an interest in the anthropology of Euro-Mediterranean societies would be advantageous
- verygoodlanguageskillsinEnglishand,ifpossible,French and/or Spanish spoken and written
- knowledge of Arabic (Modern Standard or Moroccan dia- lect), Tamazight/Tarifit would be desirable
- very good communication and teamwork skills, willingness to travel
WE OFFER YOU
- excellent conditions for further academic qualification in collaboration with international scholars in the field of praxeological media research and social theory
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models, full-time positions suitable for job sharing
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from 01 June 2020 on a full-time basis. It is limited to 31 December 2023. This position is subject to the approval of funds by the DFG . If the applicant meets the rele- vant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for theGerman public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleich- stellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome appli- cations from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please apply online at: https://jobportal.uni-koeln.de with proof of the sought qualifications. The reference number is Wiss2003- 22. The application deadline is 20 April 2020.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. M. Zillinger (email@example.com) or visit the following link https://www.stellenwerk-koeln.de/sites/default/files/pdf/university/wiss2003-22_postdoc_ethnologie-de-engl.pdf